Monday, April 14, 2008

Robot-Head-Thing

Just this past Saturday I was interviewed for a local 'zine called "Infolepsy". As a result, I now feel motivated to draw more frequently and to at least maintain status quo on posting to this blog. So I drew this last night.


Whenever I'm stuck for ideas, I draw heads. Human heads, robot heads, dog heads, cat heads. But no shower heads. I don't know that I have ever drawn a shower head, interestingly enough. I may have to change that. Anywho, I was pretty pleased with the doodle, I'd taken some time to do some shading on the 'bot-head and I like the cross-hatching, too. But the background was a bit dull. Now, it was just a doodle, it was never intended to be a Finished Piece Of Art or anything like that, but still I wanted something to make the image pop a little more. So into Photoshop it went, I selected the background and tweaked the Levels and voila! (Which, if I'm not mistaken, is the French word for "viola".) Now there is this.

Interestingly enough -to me anyway- I have done images similar to this one before, with the shapes around the head that don't really define a border to the space, but I have no idea what it's all about. Oh I'm sure there's something about balance in there. There's always something about balance. But I don't know what the rectangles are or the circles are. These circles aren't the "bubbles" I so commonly use, so I don't know what they're trying to tell me. I guess this gives me a little direction for new works: what the hell are the circles and the boxes all about? It can't simply be to make the picture appear more elaborate and meaningful than it really is. Or can it?

No comments: