Saturday, February 23, 2008

Columny Thing

This is sort of an introduction, for you, to one of my other drawing staples:
These Columny Things

Several years ago a good friend gave me a copy of Juxtapoz magazine. It was the first time I ever saw "low brow" art that was done so incredibly well. I was hooked. That first one inspired me to work with color so I drew a segmented column with pastels. I really liked it so I wound up doing a bunch of stuff with that concept. Pretty soon it was the main thing in all my drawings. Now it's moved on from the main thing to one of the main things.

I drew this in Colors! I'm starting to get a better idea of how to use it and what I should be trying to do with my natural dispositions and what-not. I scribbled this one, but I'm getting better at making smoother color transitions, so keep your eyes peeled for a (slightly) better version of this one in the nearish future.

No comments: